Meal 1: Roasted Zucchini Pozole, Sweet Corn and Cheese Tamales (D), Escarole Salad.
• Warm the pozole gently.
• Either: Microwave the tamales for 1-2 minutes. A small dish with water in the microwave facilitates the process. OR steam them in a steamer basket for 5-7 minutes OR Best of all, unwrap the cold tamales and pan fry them in butter, oil , or bacon fat. A nonstick pan helpsbut is not crucial, just make sure the fat is hot but not smoking before adding the tamales. Crisp the outside 2-3 minutes before flipping and cook 2-3 minutes more.
• Dress and serve the salad.
Meal 2: Cream of Broccoli Soup *, Roasted Beets w/ Rosemary and Bleu Cheese (D), New Potato Carrot and Cabbage Hash.
• Warm the soup gently. * Despite the title, the soup has no dairy aside from a little butter.
• Serve the beets at room temp. Crumble the cheese atop them and combine all.
• Heat the hash in a saute pan with a little butter or oil. Toss a few times until sizzling, adjust the seasoning and serve.
Pozole is an ancient soup prepared by the Aztecs to celebrate the creation of man by the gods from corn masa ( what your tamales are made from). To highlight this union the traditional secret ingredient was the flesh taken from human prisoners who had their hearts ceremonially torn out. After conquest by the Spanish, pork was substituted because "the flavor was remarkably similar." Ours is vegetarian. My apologies for the lack of authenticity.