Meal 1: Potato Latkes, Chick Peas w. Harissa and Israeli Couscous, Spinach Salad.
· Heat the chick peas and couscous gently.
· Transfer the latke batter to a mixing bowl. If the mix is very watery in the jar, pour some off first. Season with salt which we omit to prevent excessive wateriness. Mix and if necessary tighten a little with a small amount of flour, potato starch, corn flour or other binding agent.
· Cover the bottom of a straight sided pan with a generous quantity of oil ( not olive oil!!). Heat the oil to shimmering, but not smoking. Test the heat with a little of the batter. Cold oil makes heavy , greasy fried foods. Add dollops of the latke batter and flatten the pancakes in the pan to ensure even cooking. Cook 2-3 minutes and flip. Brown the other side, about 2 minutes and flip back to the first side for 30 seconds more. Add oil as necessary. You really want to fry these, not toast them. Remove the cooked latkes to drain on paper towel and keep warm in an oven or serve immediately. Garnish w. sour cream, yogurt, or applesauce.
· Serve the salad.
Meal 2: Fried Rice, Baked Tofu, and Egg Drop Soup
· Heat the soup gently.
· Heat the tofu in the oven, toaster oven, or cut into pieces and stir fry in a non stick pan briefly.
· Heat some oil in a saute pan ( non-stick is best) to almost smoking. Carefully add the rice, in batches for larger share sizes, and stir fry to heat through. Serve.