Meal 1:Herbed Meat or Meatless Loaves, Sweet Cabbage Braised with or without Homemade Bacon (D), Mid-Summer Brown Rice Pilaf.
• Warm the loaves at 300° for about 20 minutes, or until sizzling. The Meatless loaves will not sizzle, sorry. Insert a skewer or knife tip to test doneness. A quick zap in the microwave to get the chill out will not hurt either.
• Heat the cabbage in a saute pan with a pat or two of butter. Toss to heat thhrough.
• Heat the rice in a saute pan with a little oil and then a splash of water to heat it through.
Meal 2: Three Sisters Soup, Sweet Corn and Pumpkin Seed Bread, Summercrisp Salad.
• Serve the soup gently warmed
• Warm the bread.
• Dress and serve the salad.
Mid-summer cabbages are sweet and tender. This recipe yields meltingly tender cabbage in a very true to style form that lets the cabbage speak for itself. The rest of the meal was shaped around the opportunity to use these beauties. The variety is a type of flathead cabbage that look like great green wheels of cheese. I love them.
Three Sisters Soup combines the Native American gardening trinity of corn, beans, and squash. Crossroads Community Farm appears to be the reigning sweet corn champion this year too with their sweet, golden, crisp ears. We will likely make the move to put up a year's worth very soon.