• Heat the pasta e fagioli on the stovetop. Add a little water to thin it and adjust the seasoning.
• Warm the bread in the oven.
• Dress the salad.
Meal 2:Quinoa Enchiladas, Refried Kidney Beans, Anatto Rice w/ Sweet Corn and Dried Sun Gold Tomatoes
• Heat the enchiladas in the oven at 325 for 25 – 40 minutes. The cheese will melt and brown a little and the sauce should bubble up the sides a little. If the cheese browns too quickly, give it a little foil lid. Test the interior with the tip of a knife. Also don’t be afraid to give the dish a head start with a short stint in the microwave, then finish it in the oven for about 10 – 15 minutes.
• Heat the refrieds in a saucepan or in the microwave.
• Heat the rice salad in a sauté pan with a little oil and finish with a splash of water.
I learned this week that pasta e fagioli should be a study in simplicity. Being a peasant dish by nature, it is composed of a little bit of many ingredients – ideal for those who had but a little of this or that, but not much of anything. It achieves with a little tomato, some beans and a few noodles, richness, creaminess, and satiety. I feel that I did the dish an injustice by cramming too many vegetables into it and not allowing more room for a broth. It should be less stew and more soup.
In light of that, here are some recommendations to make T-day a little easier and to carry the above pasta e fagioli lesson into your holiday season:
Despite the infinity of possibilities, choose a few dishes to do well and enjoy the time together instead.
One dessert. Maybe two. No more.
Cranberry sauce is optional – I want gravy, not chutney. How about you?
Make dressing, not stuffing. Do not stuff the bird ! It will cook faster and more evenly.
Start the turkey early, cook it slow (300 - 325) and target a finish time 1-2 hours before serving.
It will stay warm enough, have time to rest, free up you oven for other things, give you room for error, and get the big ticket item out of the way before you really get into the swing of the day.
Here’s our Menu:
Nosh –cheese, chestnuts, homemade charcuterie, pickles, etc.
Dressing and Gravy
Mashed Potatoes ( Brought by a guest)
Mystery Savory Side ( Brought by a guest)
Have a wonderful holiday everyone, and enjoy!