Meal 1: Latke Kit, Split Pea Soup, Welden Farm Spinach
• Warm the soup on the stovetop to just a simmer. Stir well and do not allow the bottom to scorch.
• Empty the latke jar into a mixing bowl and season the mix liberally with salt. We omitted this ingredient to prevent too much wateriness. Taste a piece or two to ensure that it is seasoned well. It should taste a little salty. Mix it all well and tip out any excess water.
• Heat a liberal amount of oil ( NOT olive oil!) in a sauté pan and when shimmering hot add a medium sized dollop of the latke batter and flatten the dollop into a pancake. Add 3-4 more to the pan making sure the pan temp. does not drop too much that the latkes don’t fry up crisp. Allow to cook about 3 minutes and flip each one ensuring that they have cooked to a golden brown (that’s gold and brown!). Cook the other side 2-3 minutes and transfer to a paper towel. Cook off the remainder and eat hot with yogurt or applesauce if you have it!
• Dress the salad or quickly sauté the greens in a little butter or oil to wilt them as a side dish.
Meal 2: Stuffed Napa Cabbage, Fried Rice, Stir Fried Vegetables
• Heat stuffed cabbage in the oven at 325 with a foil lid for 30 minutes or until steamed through.
• Heat a sauté pan with a little oil. Non-stick is a good choice. When almost smoking hot, add the rice and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add a splash of water and allow the rice to steam through to get hot.
• After the rice, reheat the pan with a little oil and quickly stirfry the veggies for about 2 minutes as well. When hot, serve immediately.