Meal 1: Spinach Manicotti in Arribiata Sauce, Herbed Risotto, Spelt & Rye Batard
• Before removing the wrap from the manicotti, gently shake the contents to re-suspend the sauce. Heat uncovered for about 20 minutes at 325 or until bubby, and the sauce has thickened a bit.
• Warm the bread.
• When the manicotti is just about done done transfer the risotto to a sauce pan. Stir in some warm water, stock, or milk or a mixture there of – just enough to make the risotto into a thin porridge. Simmer and stir. Add more liquid if necessary, but your cooking process should take no more than 5 minutes ( more like 2-3 from simmering). The rice grains should be al dente, but not at all starchy like an undercooked noodle. The overall texture is thick, but pourable, neither watery nor a thick mass. Kapisch? If too thick, thin with a little more liquid. Garnish with butter, grated good cheese, cream, truffle oil etc. The great thing about risotto is it being humble and decadent at the same time. Adjust the salt and pepper and serve immediately
• Heat the pan roast on the stove top.
• Serve the grain salad at room temp.
• Dress the salad lightly with oil and vinegar and serve.