Meal 1: Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup, Rye Boule, Winter Greens Salad.
· Warm the soup on the stovetop.
· Warm the bread.
· Dress the greens, or even give them a quick saute in olive oil or butter and serve wilted.
Meal 2: Barley 'Risotto' with Candied Winter Squash, Beet and Kumquat Salad, Pan Fried Polenta .
· Cut the polenta pieces into halves or quarters and pan fry them in some butter or oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Brown on one side about 3 minutes and then flip to brown the other side.
· Remove the package of squash from the risotto jar and reserve.
· Turn the risotto out into a large sauce or saute pan and add just enough water or broth to cover. Simmer, stirring for 5-8 minute or until the dish thickens and becomes porridge-like. Finish with butter, cream and or a splash of sherry if you like. Adjust the seasoning ( especially the salt) and serve with some parmesan cheese on top.
· Toss the beet salad and season with salt, as this was omitted to prevent wateriness.