The 608 CSK
April 1, 2014
Meal 1: Max’s Miraculous Spinach Soup, Rye Bread Boules, Sprout and Cous Cous Salad w/ Mustard Vinaigrette
- Warm the soup very gently on the stovetop. Over heating it will compromise the color.
- Warm the bread.
- Serve the salad at room temp.Meal 2: Savory Risotto, Spinach Salad, Roasted Carrots and Fingerlings w/ Fennel
- Warm the roasted vegetables in the oven at 325 for about 15 minutes.
- Dress and serve the spinach as salad or sauté and serve as a side.
- To heat the risotto: Warm ½ cup water or milk per share ( or a mix ) in a pan. When warmed, add the risotto and gently break up any lumps. Stir and add more liquid if necessary to maintain a porridge-like consistency and simmer until the grains have an al dente texture but no remaining uncooked pasta like starchiness. About 5 minutes but very likely less. Finish with a little cream, fancy oil, etc. Top with shredded parmesan or similar. Serve immediately.Menu NotesLet the spinach roll in! The great soup is from one of my mentors Max Hansen. The trick is blending the soup in batches, adding raw spinach in each batch so the spinach turns bright green. The soup has to be hot enough to set the green, but cool enough to not over cook it. Historically made with potato I used chick peas this time to pack a protein punch in with that good greenness.I also though some sprouts were in seasonal order this week and hope you enjoy the sprout salad. On the home front it is hard to believe that we need to sprout our own garden seedlings this week! In the kitchen we get a kick out of sprouting the culinary beans ourselves, so expect more in the coming weeks. It is a unique and healthful angle we hope you all appreciate in your diet.As for risotto, it is prepped here in batches, and therefore variable, so really do finish it carefully making sure to cook out the raw starchiness, but to not over cook the dish. Some will finish very quickly, others will take a few minutes of stirring. The only way to monitor it properly is to taste it as you go. Also, risotto is best prepared with a glass of wine in hand.