Fettuccini w/ Peas & A Russian Summer Evening
Meal 1: Fettuccini with Peas Two Ways & Homemade Guanciale or Chevre, Sautéed Zucchini with Basil, Romaine Salad
• Heat some olive oil in a sauté pan and then add the noodles. Stir, and when sizzling add a very little bit of water to begin steaming the noodles through. When heated add the peas etc. and toss for a minute or two to combine and heat through. Serve.
• In the same pan quickly sauté the squash until heated. A splash of water is OK here too.
• Dress the salad. Enjoy!
Meal 2: Summertime Borscht, Multigrain Pumpernickel Bread, Cucumber Chow Chow
• The borscht is great chilled, just shake it well and serve. It is also great heated. Either way, garnish it with a little yogurt or sour cream if you like.
• Warm the bread in the oven
• Serve the chow chow chilled.
Notes: Guanciale is pork jowl cured in the style of pancetta. We started curing these about two months ago, and this is their first use. Chow Chow is a mixed vegetable quick-pickle, often colored with turmeric.